Home Skills and Tips For Surviving Commission Job Positions
Commission jobs are some of the hardest jobs to stay afloat in, especially when all income can sometimes be based on commission alone. Despite this, there are some ways that you can give yourself an advantage.
If you are going to search for commission jobs only, you need to consider the type of commission job to choose. If you want a guaranteed income, with the chance to make a little extra, search for jobs that pay a salary plus commission.
If you believe you have more than enough skills to make it on sales alone, then a commission-only job is what you would look for. When just starting out or choosing commission as your first job, it is best to go with one that offers a salary. At least you can be sure that you are guaranteed some form of an income.
While sales are a huge part of any commission job, you need quite a few skills in customer service in order to survive a commission job.
1. People Skills – No matter what type of commission job you choose, you have to know how to interact with people in order to make a sale. Interactions such as smiling, acknowledging customers, even when not waiting on them, asking customers if they need help, and saying “thank you” are all things to keep in mind.
2. Communication – The skills in communication include knowing how to speak to a customer professionally, use professional body language, and even writing with correct grammar and spelling. All of these make up important elements that give you the presence of being a professional who knows what they are doing.
3. Time Management – With commission jobs, you may also be on a time schedule with each customer. A lot of companies like the employees to keep a time frame with each customer because they believe it gives them a chance to make more sales. You need to be able to start a conversation, learn about the customer, provide advice and products, and close the sale. All of this is supposed to be completed within a reasonable amount of time.
4. Organization – Organization is particularly important in commission because of the different clients and customers that you may work with. Some companies require you to do all the work when it comes to the customers so this means keeping their information and files organized all on your own. It is very important to have this organization because you may need to go back and speak with customers about future sales and that information will be found within their files. It will be very easy to look up the needed information if all files are completely organized at all times.
Along with customer service skills, there are some personal skills that are needed as well.
1. Confidence – It is necessary to have some form of confidence with commission jobs because the customer or client will actually be looking for it. Having confidence shows the customer that you understand your job. This, in turn, makes them trust your decisions about what products and services they should buy.
2. Personality – Your personality can either make or break any sale. Being too pushy can actually push people away. You should always be friendly and professional, but also never forget that you are speaking to an actual person. People like to speak to someone who has a pleasant personality, but also understands that they are a human being first, and a customer second. So while you may want to rush into making the sale, remember to check your personality first.
3. Patience – Patience is one of the biggest personal skills that you will need with any commission job. With sales being such a huge part, you have to understand that every customer will be different and requires you to be patient enough to get to learn about them.
Commission jobs that work solely on the sales that you make, do not guarantee a steady amount of money. You may have a really great week and then turn around and have a very bad week. Because of this, it is a good idea to check into your finances.
The best way to do this is to give yourself an allowance that you can go by from week-to-week or month-to-month. If you at least know how much money you can average, you can make a budget to fit that. Be sure you include all of your most important bills in this budget and make necessary adjustments for your least important bills.
All of these things combined are what will make working a commission job position easier. Really think about and research any commission job that you want to apply for. Be sure that you understand everything that it entails, including the amount of commission that can be earned, if there is a maximum if you have a minimum that you must make before you start earning, and if there is a salary as well.